Saturday, January 22, 2022

The Harp and Crown, Gastard (Review)



 A friend local to the area remarked to me that while veganism was the coming wave, was Gastard really ready for a vegan restaurant? Gastard is a small village, or medium sized hamlet, in North Wiltshire, south of Corsham and on the way to Melksham. It is off of the tourist trail; this isn't Lacock or Castle Combe. Nor is it Shoreditch. Perhaps this is the last place you would think of for situating a high class animal product free dining house?

I don't know about you but vegan dining out has not always been a positive experience for me. I am no fan of jackfruit, much vegan food seems to be to fussy when eating out and I am happier with a simple home cooked nut roast or curry, vegan food at home in my experience is cheap, easy and delicious. 

However I can assert with confidence that the Harp and Crown is a wonderful experience. Good, I feel, for vegans, but good too for those who would normally prefer steak and chips.

When we arrived, 7.30 last Saturday, it was busy, and this of course is January 2022 during a bout of covid. Enthusiastic drinkers on one side, happy eaters on the other, but feeling socially distanced enough to be safe during the pandemic.

The alcohol choices are excellent. I got through a couple of IPAs, another time I may come just for the beer.

Service was friendly, fast and efficient.

The first course was beautifully presented, I went for the Tofish Taco, with shredded lettuce, red cabbage and Taco Sauce. Very delicious. My wife went for the jerk cauliflower wings, which had 'real texture you could bite into'. 

Being a cautious vegan diner, with a suspicion of jackfruit, I was looking forward to the katsu tofu curry. In my opinion you can't go wrong with curry, the mainstay of a filling vegan diet. Alas, they had run out. However the vegan kebabs were excellent instead, I could have greedily devoured another plate. The garlic mayonnaise was 'I can't believe this is dairy free' amazing.

Desserts were pleasing and plentiful to finish off.

Can't wait to get back. Criticisms? Not really although I do like to see Havana Club on the spirits menu, so shame it was missing. I am assuming rum is vegan and decent rum, in my humble opinion, needs to be from Cuba.

I hear long standing vegans travel 40 miles just for the experience and as noted non vegans seem to love it, looking like the number one restaurant not just in Gastard (more like the only eatery in Velley Hill) but top of the eating out charts in the Corsham area, certainly giving the Methuen and the Flemish Weavers a run for any one's money.

And while I don't think tackling climate change is as simple as going vegan, it certainly helps in terms of environmental impact and animal welfare.


They are associated with the Coppershell Farm Sanctuary.....where we have sponsored Marmite the goat.

It is all good.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Marx in the Anthropocene - a brief critical review

  When I was younger climate change appeared worrying but distant, something that would be harmful to future generations, a matter of extrem...